Thala Beach Nature Reserve
OAK BEACH (10 minutes south of Port Douglas)
Thala Beach Nature Reserve is a deluxe family-owned eco retreat and birdwatcher’s paradise with over 195 species documented and is set on 145 acres of native forest. Conveniently located 45 minutes’ drive north of Cairns and 15 minutes south of Port Douglas, guests enjoy the best of the tropics at Thala. Sitting atop a headland with breathtaking ocean and mountain vistas, Thala provides an island-feel experience and is the ideal base for exploring the birds and nature of the Wet Tropics, Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef regions.
Thala has proudly achieved the highest accreditation of eco-certification. 83 boutique timber bungalows are built high on stilts within the forest canopy providing a private and unobtrusive approach to birds and nature. All bungalows enjoy ocean, mountain and/or forest views.
Granite boulders, waterfalls and overhanging trees surround two swimming pools blending discretely within the environment. For those who like to explore, Thala has eight kilometres of paths that wind through the forests, connecting with secluded coves and beaches, passing through various habitats for endemic birds, wildlife and flora.
Osprey’s Restaurant offers panoramic vistas across the sparkling waters of the Coral Sea and the World Heritage rainforest clad coastal ranges. Guests and visitors dine among the birds in the surrounding treetops while enjoying modern Australian cuisine with friendly service.
Guests also enjoy complimentary guided tours by onsite rangers including stargazing at an outdoor observatory, bird and nature walks. Thala’s organic 650 tree coconut plantation is home to a unique ‘coconut odyssey’ tour highlighting the extraordinary qualities of the ‘tree of life’.
Magical moments are created at Thala Beach Nature Reserve. A feeling of unspoiled wilderness sets the ambiance; and is the perfect base to see the birds of Tropical North Queensland. A special combination of beauty, wilderness and seclusion awaits you.
- Retreat set on a secluded beach surrounded by Rainforest-clad ranges.
- Enjoy rainforest and beach experiences without changing accommodation houses.
- Thala offers complimentary onsite guided Bird Walks and Nature Walks.
- Over 195 bird species on site due to diverse habitats.
- Ospreys Restaurant – with arguably the best views in Northern Queensland.
- 8 kilometres of walking trails set on 145 beachfront acres.
- Most Daintree and GBR trips pick up from Thala’s reception.
- Achieved the highest level of ecotourism accreditation available in Australia.
- The only ‘National Geographic Unique Lodge’ on the Australian mainland.
- Rest and relax with our onsite massage studio called ‘Rejuvenate’.
Birds & wildlife regularly seen on the property
|White-breasted Sea-eagle||Torresian Imperial-pigeon||Lace Monitor|
|Osprey||Metallic Starling||Eastern Long-beaked Echidna|
|Brahminy Kite||Australian Pied Oystercatcher||Agile Wallaby|
|Papuan Frogmouth||Beach Stone-curlew||Musky Rat-kangaroo|
|Rufous Owl||Emerald Dove||Bottle-nosed Dolphins|
|Macleay’s Honeyeater||Pheasant Coucal||Green Turtle|
|Double-eyed Fig-parrot||Little Kingfisher||Striped Possum|
|Nankeen Night Heron||Blue-winged Kookaburra||Dugong|
|Mistletoebird||Brown Goshawk||Sugar Glider|
|Helmeted Friarbird||Spangled Drongo||Ulysses Butterfly|
(Click on images to view a slideshow of larger versions)