Red Mill House
Red Mill House in Daintree offers boutique accommodation to travelers who are interested in nature, wildlife, photography and conservation. As a property it combines a historical, traditional North Queensland Red Cedar building and a later modern addition.
Family owned and operated, this 1.5 acre lush tropical and rainforest garden setting features spacious, air conditioned, ensuite, king sized bed rooms and a two-bedroom family unit. Plenty of options are available for self-catering if desired. The large decks overlook the garden, large salt water swimming pool and natural frog and turtle pond. A perfect setting for observing and photographing the variety of birds, butterflies and wildlife or just relaxing with a glass of wine.
Red Mill House is almost famous for its delicious cooked breakfasts, selection of homemade breads and yoghurts, tropical fruits and local delights.
Perfectly located and just a stones through away from Daintree River cruise departures, the iconic Daintree River Pub and popular local bird walks through varied/mixed habitats. Drive a little further (10 mins) to arrive at the ferry crossing to access Cape Tribulation and the wider Daintree National Park where you can explore the many National Park Boardwalks.
As a family run business we offer a friendly, highly personalized, tailor made experience styled by true Australian hospitality. Excellent local information, species lists, mud maps, latest sightings and advice is provided on check in. Packages and escorted tours available on request.
- Popular local guided and self-guided walks nearby.
- Daintree River departures just a 3 minute stroll.
- Access to accredited and knowledgeable guides.
- Latest sightings/arrivals, species lists and birdwatching advice available.
- Interested birdwatchers/owners usually on site.
- Walks, tours, bird watching packages and activities booked on request.
- Delicious homemade breakfast catering to Vegan, Vegetarian, GF & Dairy free.
- Two & three bedroom apartment available, family friendly.
- Tropical rainforest gardens featuring newly planted bird & butterfly attracting natives.
- Travellers Choice award 2020, rated 9.2 booking.com, 9.8 Hotels combined.
Birds & wildlife regularly seen on the grounds
|Double-eyed Fig-parrot||Buff-breasted Paradise-kingfisher||Freshwater Long-necked Turtle|
|Wompoo Fruit-dove||Macleay’s Honeyeater||Saw-shell Turtle|
|Lovely Fairy-wren||Yellow-spotted Honeyeater||White-lipped Tree Frog|
|Spectacled Monarch||Rufous Fantail||Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog|
|Black-faced Monarch||Papuan Frogmouth||Spectacled Flying Fox|
|Little Shrike-Thrush||Orange-footed Scrubfowl||Long-nosed Bandicoot|
|Azure Kingfisher||Brown-backed Honeyeater||Northern Brown Bandicoot|
|Little Kingfisher||Pied Imperial-pigeon||Swamp Wallaby|
|Sacred Kingfisher||Eastern Koel||Cairns Birdwing Butterfly|
|Forest Kingfisher||Fairy Gerygone||Ulysses Butterfly|
(Click on images to view a slideshow of larger versions)